Please use your "Back Button"... this page is linked from other Camp Forrest web pages.

 

Back to TABLE of CONTENT


PDF FILE





 
  Camp Forrest, located near Tullahoma, Tenn., was one of the Army's largest training bases during the World War II period between 1941 and 1946.  The camp, named after Civil War cavalry General Nathan Bedford Forrest, was originally named Camp Peay.
Camp Peay was named after 1920's Tennessee Governor Austin Peay and built east of Tullahoma as a National Guard camp in 1926. Camp Peay covered 1,040 acres. Camp Forrest covered 85,000 acres located just beyond the old Camp Peay.

The camp was a training area for infantry, artillery, engineer, and signal organizations. It also served as a hospital center and temporary encampment area for troops during maneuvers. Maj. Gen. George S. Patton brought his 2nd Armored "Hell on Wheels" Division, from Fort Benning, Georgia for maneuvers. The camp also served as a training facility for eleven infantry divisions, two battalions of Rangers, numerous medical and supply units, and a number of  Army  Air Corps personnel.

In addition, the camp provided logistical support for the massive Tennessee Maneuvers conducted at intervals from 1941 through early 1945.
Other Sources: http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/msgfisher/ww2-jc-2.htm

Incoming troops were provided with amenities such as service clubs, guest houses, library, post exchanges, post office, hospital, religious services, theaters, showers, Red Cross, and Army Emergency Relief facilities Recreation facilities included swimming, archery, tennis, a sports arena and a 9-hole golf course. William Northern Field, an air training base, was an
addition for war preparation. The field was used as a training site for crews of multi-engine B-24 bombers of the Army Air Force.

  Tullahoma was greatly affected by the installation of Camp Forrest. Because of maneuvers and operations, civilians became accustomed to blocked roads, traffic jams, crowded stores, the absence of mail delivery, and driving at night without lights. Soldiers camped out on lawns and fields. Many crops and
fences were destroyed. The population of Tullahoma was 4,500 in 1940. By the end of the war the population had grown to 75,000. Many military people who moved in for construction and operation of the camp remained after the war.

  After the War
In 1946, Camp Forrest and Northern Field were declared surplus property. Buildings were sold at auction, torn down and carted away. Water and sewage systems and electrical systems were sold as salvage. All that remains are roads, brick chimneys and concrete foundations.
Soon after the close of the camp, the area was selected for the site of the new Air Engineering
Development Center. In 1951 that center was dedicated by President Truman and renamed the Arnold Engineering Development Center in honor of General of the Air Force Henry H. "Hap" Arnold. World War II Commander of the Army Air Corps and the only Air Force officer to hold 5-star rank.
Arnold Engineering Development Center (AEDC) is the most advanced and largest complex of flight simulation test facilities in the world with more than 50 aerodynamic and propulsion wind tunnels, rocket and turbine engine test cells, space environmental chambers, arc heaters, ballistic ranges and other specialized units. Twenty-seven of the center's test units have capabilities unmatched elsewhere. Facilities can simulate flight conditions from sea level to altitudes above 100,000 feet, and from subsonic velocities to those well over Mach 20.

Note: The Tullahoma Regional Airport was originally constructed for the US Army Air Corps.